Study Permit Extension
As we all know a valid study permit is a mandatory document for an international student pursuing studies in Canada. However, there are times when a student takes longer than the stipulated time to complete his/her program of study. Also, there are occasions when the students transfer to a program of study that has a longer duration. Here, the need for study permit extension might arise. When to Extend your study permit?
Following are two circumstances in which an international student needs to extend the study permit in Canada:
- If the student has already completed the program of study and has received a letter of acceptance for another program.
- If the student is unable to complete the program within the designated time of the program of study.
To avoid any hassle, it is highly recommended to apply for the extension at least 3 to 4 months before the expiry of the current Study Permit. Consequences of applying for extension closer to the date of expiry of your current visa
Nevertheless, while your Study Permit is still valid, you can apply for an extension. The major drawback of applying for extending a student visa closer to the expiry date of your permit is that you will be on “implied status”. It means you can neither work nor study, once your current study visa expires. You will be left with only two choices:
How to Extend Study Permit in Canada?
- Apply for restoration of status within 90 days. This can be a hard task.
- Leave Canada and put a fresh application for a study permit from your home country.
For Canadian study permit extension, the international student must electronically apply for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please be advised to submit your application online unless otherwise specified. This is because the Government of Canada mostly prefers temporary resident applications from within Canada to be made electronically. These applications are the ones:
- Applied for temporary resident permit extension from within Canada
- For study and work permits applied from inside Canada
- Renewal of study or work permit from within Canada