LMIA stands for Labour Market Impact Assessment. An LMIA is required by majority of Employers if they want to hire a Temporary Foreign Worker. Some Temporary Foreign Workers are exempt from obtaining LMIA, you can find out more information about that on our detailed page Work Permit of Canada on our website. Now you will be thinking what is Owner Operator LMIA?
If you’re an entrepreneur
You may be eligible for an employer-specific work permit if you intend to operate a business in Canada that would create or maintain:
- significant social, cultural or economic benefits, or
- jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
You must also meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit. Before you submit your work permit application, you must:
- submit an offer of employment to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada,
- pay a $230 employer compliance fee, and
- get an offer of employment number.