Each year galore of foreign nationals’ dream of living their “Canadian Dream”. This dream is an illusion; that transforms into a reality only when you strive hard, chase it; transcending all legal barriers and complying with the rules and regulations thus prescribed by the Canadian government through Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). After all, we all want an excellent settlement option with the best healthcare and an excellent education system. We have explained in detail below about the various options available for work permit of Canada.
If you are willing to move to Canada for work, it is quintessential to have a work permit of Canada, (in most of the cases). There are also a few instances of jobs where one may not require a work permit. Some people are exempted from these stringent rules as the duration of their work is very short. The only prerequisite here is that these people should have entered the country legally. These jobs include:
a) Athletes and coaches of teams of various other countries.
b) Health care students
c) Members of the church
d) Investigators of the aviation industry
e) Expert witnesses
Now, let us learn about the various kinds of work permits in Canada.
- Open Work Permits
- Employer Specific Work Permits
Open Work permit: A permit that is not job specific is referred to as an Open work permit. An open work permit is the one that permits you to work for an employer in Canada barring those employers who are :
- Considered to be ineligible and thus listed in the list of employers who could not comply with the aforesaid conditions as specified by the Canadian government.
- Engaged in immoral services like services offering striptease, erotic dance, escort services and erotic massages.
On the contrary, an easily accessible open work permit it allowed in specific situations as mentioned below:
- For international students who are graduated from a reputed learning institution and are thereby eligible for pursuing the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
- For destitute students (students who lacks basic means to provide for his livelihood).
- For employees who are in a situation where having an employer specific work permit places you in a situation of being abused or at a risk of being abused in relation to your job in question.
- In case, where you have already applied for a Permanent Residence in Canada.
- If you are a dependent family member of the person who has already applied for a permanent residence.
- In a situation where you are a spouse or a common law partner of a skilled worker as specified or an international student.
- If your spouse or a common law partner is an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
- If you are a refugee, a refugee claimant, a protected person or a family member of the above mentioned categories of people.
- If you are covered under an enforceable removal order.
- For temporary resident permit holders.
- For young workers participating in special programs.
Employer Specific Work Permit: Employer Specific Work Permit provides you to work in accordance with the conditions as specified on your work permit. It includes :
a) The specifications of the employer. For instance: Name of the employer>/p>
b) The tenure of your work
c) The location of your work (in case if this is applicable)
d) The kind of work that you will be assigned
Before submitting your application for Employer Specific Work Permit one crucial requirement is that the employer who intends to hire you needs to abide a few rules. He is under a legal obligation to provide an offer of employment number to be included in your respective application or he is bound to provide you a copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
If you’re an entrepreneur, you may be eligible for an employer-specific work permit if you intend to operate a business in Canada that would create or maintain:
- significant social, cultural or economic benefits, or
- jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
You will need Owner Operator LMIA to apply for work permit. We have explained more about this in detail on our Owner Operator LMIA page.
There are a few more additional criteria to be met to be eligible. Following are the requirements to be eligible for a Work Permit.
Requirements to be eligible for a Work Permit or Who all can apply?
In order to be eligible to apply for the Work permit, all the requirements have to be encompassed. Following are the requirements that one needs to fulfil:
- You are required to prove to the officer that as soon as your Work Permit expires, you shall leave the country.
- You are under a legal obligation to showcase that you have sufficient funds to sustain with your family in the country and return home too.
- You have to authenticate that you are a law abiding person with no criminal activity. A police clearance certificate as a proof may be required.
- You should not be in a position to pose a threat to the security of the country.
- You have to be physically fit with an excellent health record.
- You should follow the work ethics and not indulge in any work with employers who are specified as ineligible in the list of employers.
- You should not involve yourself by any means with the employers who are providing immoral services.
- You should be in a position to produce any other document as required by the officer.
What is a Bridging Open Work Permit?
A specific work permit that permits you to work in Canada while you are awaiting your results of your Permanent Residence application is referred to as a Bridging Open Work Permit. The Eligibility criteria for Bridging Open Work Permit requires you to fulfill the following conditions:
a) You should have applied for a permanent residence
b) You should be in a position where your current work permit should be expiring within 4 months or less
c) Your status on your work permit should be a valid one
d) You should be currently residing in Canada
The prerequisite to qualify for this specific work permit is that one should have applied for the following permanent residence programs.
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Caring for Children class
- Caring for people who require High medical Needs class
At CanOz Visa’s, we have assisted many of our clients with Work Permit of Canada Applications, please review our testimonials to see what our clients say about us. Need more information or assistance with applying, we are here to help, please contact our Canadian Immigration Consultant at +1 647 772 8994 or Book Free Consultation Now! at canozvisas.com
Here are some words of praise from our clients who are happy and satisfied with our services. Read the few of them below: